North Korea Experience: Autumn Tour
International Student Network (ISN)
Date: 4 – 10 Nov 2018
North Korea Experience: Autumn Tour (6 days train tour) will lead you deep into the core of North Korea’s society, to witness the everyday life of workers and peasants under long-term international sanctions. You will also experience the country in a series of traditional and exclusive activities, which include strolling along the streets of Pyongyang with minimal official intervention, visiting department stores and amusement parks, and cruising the capital by Pyongyang metro.
Day 1: 4 November (Sun)
Programme Started: Beijing > Dandong
- Gather at Beijing by 4pm
- Overnight train from Beijing to Dandong, Liaoning, a Chinese city bordering Sinujiu (新義州), the special economic zone built by North Korea modelling on Hong Kong
Day 2: 5 November (Mon)
Dandong > Pyongyang
- Arrive at Dandong in the early morning
- Train from Dandong to Pyongyang City 平壤市 : throughout the train journey you will be able to meet local Koreans, from young athletes to businessmen – a great opportunity to talk with them and get a brief idea about the world’s most isolated country.
- Arrival at Pyongyang City, to be greeted by our familiar local guides
- Visit Kim Il Sung Square 金日成廣場, where one of the largest military parades in the world is held
- Overnight at Youth Hotel 青年飯店
Day 3: 6 November (Tue)
- Visit 9th June Middle School 6月9日龍北高中 , where Language Exchange with local students will be conducted. We will also provide daily life materials to support the school and students there.
- Visit to Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum 祖國解放戰爭紀念館, where we will learn more about the North Korean version of Korean War.
- Extended Ride in Pyongyang Metro 平壤地鐵, the best opportunity to mingle and mix with the local Pyongyang urban dwellers.
- Children Palace 少年宮, watch the performance by some incredibly talented artists, musicians and gymnasts.
- Private walking at Ryomyong Street 黎明大街, a street newly built by Kim Jong Un and the whole project finished in 1 year.
- Arch of Triumph 凱旋門, where it signifies the greatness of Kim Il Sung.
- Exclusive visit to a local department store 本地百貨公司 , a rare and exclusive chance to witness Pyongyang’s most popular department store that is rarely attended by foreign visitors. We will learn more about how market has started to have a impact on people’s lives, and the phenomenon of the return of capitalism.
- Overnight at Sosan Hotel 西山飯店
Day 4: 7 November (Wed)
- Private walking at Future Scientist Street 未來科學家街 , we will walk along the new modern street built for Pyongyang’s professors and scientists.
- Mansudae Grand Monument 萬壽台紀念碑, visit the two high statues of the country’s two most important leaders, Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.
- Lunch in the Pizza Restaurant in Pyongyang , feel the heightening influence of Westernisation in the country.
- Grand People Study House 人民大學習堂, interacting with adult English students who are from various segments of the society. We will talk to the citizens about the impact of sanctions to their lives
- Juche Tower 主體思想塔, learn about the country’s governing idea and its survival ideology
- Depart for Kaesong City 開城市
- Stay overnight at Minsok Folk Hotel in Kaesong City 開城民宿, the traditional Hanok houses inherited from Koryo Dynasty, you will have a feel of living in the ancient times.
Day 5: 8 November (Thur)
- Private Walking to Kaesong Old Town Centre 開城中心城區 , the walk in this simple and traditional city will give you a very different Korean image, one that is the exact opposite of the hustle and bustle in Pyongyang
- Demilitarized Zone/Panmunjom 三八線/板門店 , the most fortified border on Earth that still sees the standoff between the two Koreas
- Koryo Museum 高麗博物館 , a UNESCO heritage that preserves ancient Korean relics
- Return to Pyongyang
- Farewell dinner with our Korean guides at a duck BBQ Restaurant
- Taedong River Bar 大同江酒吧 , a local bar in Pyongyang – relax and have a chit chat with our friendly Korean guides there
- Overnight at Yanggakdo Hotel 羊角島酒店
Day 6: 9 November (Fri)
Pyongyang > Dandong
- Bongsu Church 鳳岫教會
- Train from Pyongyang to Dandong
- Arrival at Dandong in the evening
- Overnight train from Dandong to Beijing
Day 7: 10 November (Sat)
Dandong > Beijing
- Arrive at Beijing in the morning
- Discussion session on current issues related to North Korea, facilitated by our North Korean expert. We will reflect on the North Korean society under the leadership of Kim Jong Un (also called the Byungjin era 並進時代, the emphasis on both military advancement and economic development). We will also discuss the newest development on the Korean Peninsula, after a significant military agreement was signed between the South and the North in late September this year.
End of Programme
*The above itinerary is for reference only and is subject to change. Registrants will receive a full itinerary with programme details via email.
*Note 1: Walk In Hong Kong (License No.: 353919) is the responsible tour operator of this programme.
*Note 2: South Korean, Japan and US Passport Holders are not allowed to join the trip.
*Note 3: For our policies concerning the security of travelling to the DPRK, please click here.
Programme Fee: HKD 8,600 (USD 1,115)
Special Offer via ISN: HKD 7,850 (USD 1,015) [please enter Discount Code when you register]
Our Programme Fee includes
- Application for visa to the DPRK
- Transportation from China to the DPRK and return (inc. taxes and surcharges)
- Transportation in China and the DPRK
- Shared twin-room accommodation in the DPRK (4 nights)
- All meals in the DPRK
- Snacks on train in China
- Two tour guides and one driver per group
- One Eastern Vision tour mentor per group
- All entry fees to museums
- Academic materials
- Stamp duty (0.15% of Programme Fee) required by Travel Industry Council Reserve Fund
Our Programme Fee excludes
- Extra meals or souvenirs in the DPRK and China
- Your China visa of double entry**
- Transportation from Hong Kong (or your place of origin) to Beijing, China***
*An appropriate and adequate travel insurance is a condition of travelling to the DPRK.
**For some passport holders who need to acquire a visa to enter China, you are reminded to secure a proper visa for double entry, as we will go in and out of China twice.
***Our programme starts and ends at Beijing. You are free to arrange your own flights/trains to Beijing.
We are not offering any Group Flight Package for this tour as most participants will not be departing from Hong Kong. But get in touch with us if you need advice on this or if you wish to purchase individual flight tickets via our partner travel agency. You can find more details in the Programme Guideline (you will receive this after registration).
Click here for Tertiary financial assistance options 大專生財政援助