North Korea: Return of Arirang Show
Date: 27 Sep – 1 Oct 2018
September is an extraordinary month of going to North Korea, not only because of the wide celebrations of the 70th Anniversary of the founding of North Korea, but also the return of Arirang style Mass Game! The new Mass Game is different from those in the past, it is named as “The Glorious Country” 「光輝的祖國」, likely a once and only show in a while.
North Korea: Return of Arirang Show 北韓行：阿里郎回歸 will bring you to witness the record-holding mass game predominantly famed for its epic card stunt created by more than 10,000 Korean students. We will also explore the world’s most isolated country through interacting with local students and citizens from all walks of life. On top of that, we will observe the subtle changes in society and economy subsequent to the Inter-Korean Summit and the US-North Korea Summit held in the first half of 2018. Will citizens be more open to the US and market economy? Will the country finally open itself to the international society? The tour will provide participants with a first-hand perspective to have a glimpse of the North Korean culture and try to taste the daily life as Korean people.
Tour Mentor tagged along:
Mr. Steve Chung (鍾樂偉先生), Assistant Lecturer at CUHK and Expert in Korean affairs, is one of the earliest scholars in Greater China to focus on research about Korean culture. He previously served as a research fellow and scholar in South Korea, with a strong interest in Korean ’s media and politics. He is also a columnist and author on North-South Korean issues, bringing insights into Korean’s culture and social development.
Day 1: 27 Sep 2018 (Thur)
Commencement of Programme
- Arrive at Vienna International Hotel (維也納國際酒店) in Shenyang, China (瀋陽市) within the day
Day 2: 28 Sep 2018 (Fri)
Shenyang > Dandong > Pyongyang
- Train from Shenyang to Dandong
- Train from Dandong to Pyongyang (平壤市) : throughout the train journey you will be able to meet local Koreans, from young athletes to businessmen – a great opportunity to talk with them and get a brief idea about the world’s most isolated country
- Arrival at Pyongyang City, to be greeted by our familiar local guides
- Visit Kim Il Sung Square (金日成廣場), where one of the largest military parades in the world is held
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument (萬壽台紀念碑), where the two high statues of the country’s two most important leaders, Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il are
- Overnight at Sosan Hotel (西山飯店)
Day 3: 29 Sep 2018 (Sat)
Pyongyang > Kaesong
- Exchange session at a Pyongyang middle school, an opportunity to talk with local students within an informal environment
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum (祖國解放戰爭紀念館), learn more about the North Korean version of the Korean War
- Lunch at a Pizza Restaurant in Pyongyang, feel the heightening influence of Westernisation in the country
- Private walk along the Future Scientist Street (未來科學家街) , the new modern street built for Pyongyang’s professors and scientists
- Juche Tower (主體思想塔) , learn about the country’s governing idea and its survival
- Drive to Kaesong City (開城市)
- Overnight at Minsok Folk Hotel in Kaesong City (開城民宿)
Day 4: 30 Sep 2018 (Sun)
Kaesong > Pyongyang
- Demilitarized Zone/Panmunjom (三八線/板門店) , the most fortified border on Earth that still sees the standoff between the two Koreas
- Koryo Museum (高麗成均館) , a UNESCO heritage that preserves ancient Korean relics
- Return to Pyongyang
- Extended Ride in Pyongyang Metro (平壤地鐵), the best opportunity to mingle and mix with the local Pyongyang urban dwellers during the extended 6-stop train ride
- Exclusive visit to a local department store (光復百貨公司) , a rare and uncommon chance to witness Pyongyang’s most popular department store that is rarely attended by foreign visitors. We will explore more about how market has started to have a impact on people’s lives, and the phenomenon of the return of capitalism.
- The Glorious Country: Arirang-style Mass Game Performance (「光輝的祖國」阿里郎式萬人大匯演)*
- Taedong River Bar (大同江酒吧) , a local bar in Pyongyang – relax and have a chit-chat with our friendly Korean guides there
- Overnight at Yanggakdo International Hotel (羊角島國際飯店)
Day 5: 1 Oct 2018 (Mon)
Pyongyang > Dandong > Shenyang
- Arrive at Dandong in the afternoon
- High-speed train from Dandong to Shenyang
- Discussion session on current issues related to North Korea, facilitated by our Tour Mentor. We will reflect on the North Korean society under the leadership of Kim Jong Un as well as the prospect of the Korean Peninsula particularly after the North Korea-United States Summit held early in June 2018.
- The accommodation of this night is included (Official Dismissal Point: Vienna International Hotel)
End of Programme
*About the Glorious Country
This September is the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the DPRK, and a series of performances and celebrations will be held. The most exciting message from our contacts in Pyongyang is that the much anticipated “Mass Games in Arirang Style” stand high chance to return. The new Mass Games called “The Glorious Country 빛나는 조국” will be the first show of the same kind since Arirang was suspended for years.
The show is now confirmed by DPRK officials that it will take place in between 9 September to 30 September, with ticket price ranging from 100-300 EUR. However, the exact date and show schedule are not released yet. It is highly likely that the first show on 9 September and our team will try our best to facilitate your attendance at the Mass Games.
**The above itinerary is for reference only and is subject to change. Registrants will receive a full itinerary with programme details via email.
*Note 1: Walk In Hong Kong (License No.: 353919) is the responsible tour operator of this programme.
*Note 2: South Korean, Japan and US Passport Holders are not allowed to join the trip.
*Note 3: For our policies concerning the security of travelling to the DPRK, please click here.
6,900 HKD for HKSAR Passport holders
7,500 HKD (885 USD) for other passport holders
Click here for Tertiary financial assistance options 大專生財政援助
Our Programme Fee includes
- DPRK Visa
- Transportation from Dandong to the DPRK and return (inc. taxes and surcharges)
- Transportation in Dandong and the DPRK
- Shared twin-room accommodation in Shenyang (2 nights) and the DPRK (2 nights)
- All meals in Shenyang and the DPRK (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Two North Korean tour guides and one driver per group
- One Eastern Vision tour mentor per group
- All entry fees to itinerary mentioned above
- Academic materials
- Stamp duty (0.15% of Programme Fee) required by Travel Industry Council Reserve Fund
Our Tour Fee excludes
- Tickets for “The Glorious Country” Performance: Around EUR 100-300 per person, details to be announced
- Extra meals or activities and souvenirs in the DPRK and China
- Tips to DPRK tour guides and driver (around 250 RMB)
- Travel Insurance*
- Double Entry China Visa**
- Transportation from Hong Kong (or your place of origin) to Shenyang, China***
*An appropriate and adequate travel insurance is a condition of travelling to the DPRK.
**For some passport holders who need to acquire a visa to enter China, you are reminded to secure a proper visa for double entry, as we will go in and out of China twice. We can assist you with this.
***Our programme starts and ends at Shenyang. You need to arrange your own flights/trains to Dandong. However, we also facilitate a separate, non-bundled Transit Package if you depart from Hong Kong:
Outbound (Hong Kong – Shanghai – Shenyang) :
MU510 27 Sep HKG 17:05 – PVG 19:55
MU5603 27 Sep PVG 21:30 – SHE 23:50
Inbound (Shenyang – Shanghai – Hong Kong):
MU5604 2Oct SHE 13:15 – PVG 16:05
MU723 2Oct PVG 18:45 – HKG 21:30
Both flights are operated by China Eastern Airlines.
If you choose to arrange your flight by your own, you can still join our Transit Package, which includes the transit between airports and hotels in Shenyang. You can find more details in the Programme Guideline (you will receive this after registration).